Turkey Twin Blasts Near Istanbul Football Stadium Killed 38, Wound 166
By MEHER ONISA : 12-Dec-2016
Istanbul: The dual attacks by A suicide bomber and car bomber near Istanbul’s soccer stadium on Saturday night killed 38 people and injuring 166 others.
The bombs that targeted police officers had killed 30 of the officials along with seven other civilians and one anonymous person.
Suleyman Soylu, Turkey's Interior Minister reported the arrests of 10 people in connection with the "terrorist attack."
The civilian death toll was less as the fans after watching the soccer match had already departed from the newly built Vodafone Arena Stadium.
The first largest explosion took place about 7.30 pm GMT after the local team Besiktas defeated Bursaspor 2-1 in the Turkish Super League. The timing of the attack aimed to maximize the loss of life but the fate had prevented the worst that might have happened.
The first bomb exploded off just outside the facility of Besiktas Stadium. The second blast bomb came moments later was attributed by officials to a suicide bomber.
Police barricaded the back of the stadium that was clogged with fumes and smokes.
The ambulatory services were called and ferried the wounded ones to the hospitals.
The spokesman for the White House National Security Council, Ned Price, condemns the attack in Turkey.
Forensic experts in white uniforms covered the vicinity of the stadium and the spotting park where the suicide bombing occurred.
The Besiktas sports club dignitaries condemned the attack. They said that the bomber was the employee of one of its cafeteria stores was among the fatalities.
The president of European soccer's governing body UEFA, Aleksander Ceferin tweeted on twitter condemning the attack. "Violence has no place in a democratic society.”
Turkey's radio and television board issued a temporary coverage ban citing national security concerns. It said, "to avoid broadcasts that can result in public fear, panic or chaos, or that will serve the aims of terrorist organizations."